Standout Seniors ’23: Meet Jimmy Landy (Nursing)

Penn State Behrend’s Class of 2023 is ready to make its mark on the world!  We’re proud of our students and all that they have learned and accomplished here at Behrend. Over the next several weeks, we’ll introduce you to a few of our remarkable seniors who have overcome challenges, pioneered new technologies, participated in important research projects, and made their mark at Penn State Behrend.

Today, we’d like you to meet Jimmy Landy.  


Major: Nursing

Hometown: State College, Pennsylvania

On choosing Behrend: I chose Penn State Behrend because it is a smaller, more intimate campus. On top of that, the natural beauty of the school really drew me in. Both the campus architecture and natural surroundings (like Wintergreen Gorge) made me love coming to campus every day.

On choosing his major: I became interested in a health profession in high school when I took a course to become a nurse aide. I originally wanted to become a doctor, but after working as a nurse aide, I learned nurses had an even greater connection to the patient.

Campus involvement: I am the executive vice president of Lion Ambassadors. I have also been involved with the Student Nurses’ Association of Pennsylvania (SNAP), Behrend Honors program, and Scrubs Club. I also am a lead tutor with the Learning Resource Center (LRC) and a Lion Scout tour leader for admissions.

Awards: I received two awards in my junior year,  Outstanding Tutor of Science for my work leading group reviews for nursing classes with the LRC, and the Irvin H. Kochel Lion Ambassador award for my dedication to the Lion Ambassadors club.

What makes him unique: I believe I’m a talented writer. One day, I hope to publish a book series. I am passionate about my writing; I could talk about it for hours and hours.

A champion for children: Ever since I started working with kids when I was 16, I have been astonished that another person could harm a child. This was one of the driving factors in my decision to focus on pediatric emergency nursing. I want to be on the front lines of helping to protect children.

Advice for first-year students: I would tell a new student to take advantage of all the resources we have to offer. Our school has free tutoring, exploratory services for undecided students, and career services that all help you excel in class and help you to find where you belong. I would also encourage students to make meaningful connections with their professors, speak up in class, go to office hours, and never be afraid to ask for help.

With a little help from his friends: It would be hard to pick a favorite memory from my time at Behrend, but looking back, I know that I could never have done it without my best friends and study buddies, Lauren Teresi and Lexie Parker. Any time we are together there’s a 25 percent chance of studying and a 75 percent chance we’re going to tell stories, make each other laugh, and get nothing done. Even though we may not have been the most productive when we were together, the support we offered each other was invaluable.

After his graduation in May, Jimmy plans on working in a pediatric emergency room. One day, he hopes to return to school to become a nurse practitioner and possibly teach.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s